Michael Douglas says he supports the #MeToo movement “wholeheartedly,” despite facing sexual harassment accusations earlier this year.
Speaking to the Associated Press at the Los Angeles premiere of “Ant-Man and The Wasp” on Monday, Douglas said, “I think it was a healthy movement, I think it’s still in progress.”
The “Fatal Attraction” actor, 73, stayed mum on the accusations that were leveled against him in January when a former employee of his claimed that he once masturbated in front of her and blackballed her from Hollywood. He denied the allegations in a preemptive statement saying: “This is a complete lie, fabrication, no truth to it whatsoever.”
“There was no other way than to be preemptive in a story that had to be watched. He did a statement, he did it. I think it’s very clear the way that he stands,” she said.
Although not directly mentioning the claims in his AP interview, Douglas alluded to the backlash he’s received calling some accusations “hearsay.”
“After the first emotional outbursts of the movement and some horrendous situations that existed, it began to get more of a subtly of the situations rather than simply blackballing a lot of people on hearsay,” he said, adding “I support the movement wholeheartedly.”
He also noted that he’s seen positive results of the movement in the form of “many many more women in roles in directing and in cinematography and otherwise.”
“So they did a good job,” he added.